Freestyle points – 3
Yield – 4
Serving – 1 chimichanga
- 1/2 pound 99% lean ground lean turkey
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- One 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped mild green chiles
- 1/3 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Four 8-inch fat-free flour tortillas
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray a nonstick baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- Spray a nonstick skillet with nonstick spray; set over medium-high heat. Add turkey, onion, garlic, chili powder, oregano and cumin. Cook, breaking up the turkey with a wooden spoon until browned, about 6 minutes. Stir in tomato sauce and chiles; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until the flavors are blended and the mixture thickens slightly, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the cheddar.
- Meanwhile, wrap the tortillas in foil and place in the oven to warm for 10 minutes.
- Spoon about 1/2 cup of the filling into the center of each tortilla. Fold in the sides, then roll to enclose the filling. Place the chimichangas, seam-side down, on the baking sheet. Lightly spray the tops of the tortillas with nonstick spray. Bake until golden and crisp, about 20 minutes. Do not turn.
TIPS: I don’t really like ground turkey so I think next time I’ll use shredded chicken. I also like the idea of a limey pico de gallo salad as a side.
Original recipe located at: https://www.recipegirl.com/skinny-chimichangas/