I have to say my husband is not much of a sweets person. Often when I make baked goods either I eat them, take them to friends, or they don’t get eaten before they spoil. That’s not the case if it’s something with ginger or lemon and better yet if it’s both. Sunday the hubby brought me flowers and salted chocolate, my favorite, for Valentine’s day. It was totally unexpected and very appreciated. It’ got me thinking about what I could make him that he’d like. It just so happened that my Cooking Club of America magazine came in the mail and I found this great recipe for Ginger Lemon muffins. So I made them as my gift to my wonderful husband. He really liked them. I love that they’re so moist and yummy. Oh, and the ginger and lemon, perfect. So if you like ginger and lemon, or know someone who does, consider making these next time.
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar, divided
3 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
4 teaspoons grated lemon peel
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
2/3 cup plain yogurt
6 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1. Heat oven to 400ºF. Spray 12 muffin cups with cooking spray. Whisk flour, baking soda and salt in medium bowl.
2. Cook 1/4 cup of the sugar and ginger in small saucepan over medium heat 2 to 3 minutes or until sugar melts, syrup is slightly thickened and ginger just starts to soften, stirring constantly (do not overcook). Remove from heat; stir in 4 teaspoons grated lemon peel. Cool.
3. Beat 1/2 cup butter in large bowl at medium-high speed until smooth. Gradually beat in remaining 3/4 cup sugar 2 to 3 minutes or until smooth and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. At low speed, beat in ginger mixture, yogurt and lemon juice. Beat in flour mixture just until blended. Spoon into muffin cups (batter will come almost to top).
4. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack 5 minutes. Remove from pan.
5. Meanwhile, combine 2 tablespoons sugar and 1 tablespoon lemon peel in small cup. Brush tops of muffins with melted butter; sprinkle with lemon sugar. Serve warm.
PER MUFFIN: 260 calories, 11 g total fat (6.5 g saturated fat), 4 g protein, 37 g carbohydrate, 65 mg cholesterol, 195 mg sodium, 1 g fiber