This year our neighbors Sammi and Pla got use a great gift. It was a bag of yummy treats from Trader Joe’s. We had chips, salsa, popcorn, sparkling blueberry juice and these awesome cookies candy cane cookies. That’s where the inspiration for this recipe came from. These cookies were so yummy and tasty. I loved the chocolate and mintyness of the cookies. Pla had told me that the box of cookies she had went fast and in our house they went fast too. After having these cookies I had to find the recipe. I found it on http://www.grouprecipes.com and made some changes to it. Enjoy!
Homemade Candy Cane Oreo Cookies
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup + 2 Tablespoons room-temperature, unsalted butter
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened Dutch cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
Mint Cream Filling
1/4 cup room-temperature, unsalted butter
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
2 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
2 teaspoons peppermint extract
2-4 Tablespoons crushed candy canes or mint hard candies
- Preheat to 375ºF.
- Cream together butter, egg, and sugar.
- Thoroughly mix the flour, cocoa, baking soda and powder, salt, and sugar. Continue mixing until dough comes together in a mass.
- Take rounded teaspoons of batter and place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet approximately 2 in apart. With moistened hands, slightly flatten the dough. I barely flattened mine and used a very small portion scoop. Bake for 9 minutes. Once baked, removed from the cookie sheet to cool.
- To make the cream, place butter and shortening in a mixing bowl, and at low-speed, gradually beat in the sugar, mint, and crushed mints. Turn the mixer on high and beat for 2-3 minutes until filling is light and fluffy.
- To assemble the cookies, teaspoon-size blobs of cream into the center of one cookie. Place another cookie, equal in size to the first, on top of the cream. Lightly press, to work the filling evenly to the outsides of the cookie. Continue process until all the cookies have been sandwiched with cream.
- Then enjoy 🙂