- 1 Tuna, Ahi tuna steaks or block
- ¼ cup orange juice, fresh squeezed
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- ¼ cup mirin
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Chinese 5-spice
- 2 tablespoons white pepper
- 1 tablespoon orange zest, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Mix together all above except tuna.
- Split liquid solution in half, you will use one half for brushing the tuna and reserve the other half for dipping.
- Heat nonstick pan to medium high heat. Heavily brush one side of the tuna with liquid and place that side down in the pan.
- Sear tuna for one minute while brushing the tuna with the liquid.
- Turn tuna over, and sear again for 1 minute brushing the now seared side with the liquid (if using a block, heat all 4 sides for 30 sec to a minute depending on size.)
- Remove from heat and place most recently seared side up and brush.
- Thinly slice the tuna and serve with dipping sauce.